Current:Home > NewsNevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -Excel Money Vision
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
SafeX Pro Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 20:02:09
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have again been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (55)
Related
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- How Jill Duggar Is Parenting Her Own Way Apart From Her Famous Family
- Miami-Dade Police Director 'Freddy' Ramirez shot himself following a domestic dispute, police say
- Here's How Margot Robbie Really Achieves Her Barbie Blonde Hair
- Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
- Inside Clean Energy: This Virtual Power Plant Is Trying to Tackle a Housing Crisis and an Energy Crisis All at Once
- Ryan Gosling Gives Eva Mendes a Sweet Shoutout With Barbie Premiere Look
- TikTok Just Became a Go-To Source for Real-Time Videos of Hurricane Ian
- 'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
- A New Project in Rural Oregon Is Letting Farmers Test Drive Electric Tractors in the Name of Science
Ranking
- Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
- Inside Clean Energy: Did You Miss Me? A Giant Battery Storage Plant Is Back Online, Just in Time for Summer
- Experts raised safety concerns about OceanGate years before its Titanic sub vanished
- Collin Gosselin Speaks Out About Life at Home With Mom Kate Gosselin Before Estrangement
- 'Vanderpump Rules' star DJ James Kennedy arrested on domestic violence charges
- RHONY's Kelly Bensimon Is Engaged to Scott Litner: See Her Ring
- Collin Gosselin Speaks Out About Life at Home With Mom Kate Gosselin Before Estrangement
- You may be missing out on Social Security benefits. What to know.
Recommendation
Average rate on 30
Supreme Court kills Biden's student debt plan in a setback for millions of borrowers
You may be missing out on Social Security benefits. What to know.
From no bank to neobank
Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
FTC sues Amazon for 'tricking and trapping' people in Prime subscriptions
Post-Tucker Carlson, Fox News hopes Jesse Watters will bring back viewers
Andrea Bocelli Weighs in on Kim Kardashian and Kourtney Kardashian's Feud